I have carried out an examination of various old Ordnance Survey maps and archive material and have deduced this early chronology of the mills at Moses Gate. There is little evidence of John Phethean’s early business premises in Bolton. The earliest record at present is from 1866 where a weaving shop in Bullock Street, Bolton existed.
1850 – no mills at all except for one in the triangle between Bolton
Road, Egerton St and Gladstone Road
1872 Correspondence submitted to Farnworth Board regarding bad state of Cawdor Street by J Phethean & Co. Response by Clerk that the situation would be resolved by paving Cawdor Street. ( Bolton Evening News, Tuesday July 2nd 1872). Presumably by this date the company had a presence in Cawdor Street.
1884 ” A fire of alarming proportions broke out at two o’clock on Saturday morning at the mill of Messrs. Phethean & Sons, Farnworth near Bolton. The fire broke out in the storeroom, which had £10,000 worth of stock in it. This room was gutted, also the spinning room, but the rest of the premises were saved. Fifty spinners are thrown out of work, and damage 0f £20,000 was caused”
Liverpool Mercury, Monday, October 6, 1884; Issue 11462
1891 Egerton Mill standing – located between Egerton St and Thynne St;
un-named mill between Thynne St and Cambell St (Phethean’s Mill?)
1893 as above
1909 Egerton mill seems to have been rebuilt slightly to the west; is now between Phethean St and Thynne St. Phethean St and Thorne St seem to have been built over the site of the older mill (or part of it).
1929 Egerton mill labelled as “Waste Spinning Mill”; Phethean’s Mill is named as such for the first time
1937 Egerton Mill named; Phethean’s Mill not named
1951 Egerton Mill named; Phethean’s Mill now labelled as “Cawdor Mill”
(1) from an 1891 trade directory, Egerton Mill was run by Philip & Thos Bateman; John Phethean & Co Ltd just at ” Cawdor Street” in the same document.
(2) John Phethean and Company Ltd. was incorporated in 1885 after the death of Josiah Phethean but from the above dates the Moses Gate Mill or at least some facility was already in existence by 1872 . The company would have been in Bolton (near Phethean Street off Bury Old Road ?) before 1872. “Phethean & Sons” was a previous business or company name, coexisting with the name John Phethean and Co. ( note it was not a limited company at that time). The company survived until 1936 since at that date the various telephone numbers for the company cease to exist as it merged with others and eventually became part of Vantona.
From:Eight Edition. The Cotton Spinners & Manufacturers’ Directory; John Worral, Oldham,Lancs. 1891
The fire-brigade at John Phethean & Co, c. 1900. This building still stands today, but the wall (and plaque) have been rendered over. The chimney behind has been demolished and that building is now part of Vantona. Click he image for a larger view.
Reproduced by permission of Bolton Museum and Archive Service
Cotton Mills off Cawdor Street including Bolton Textile Mills No. 1 and 2 and Phethean’s Cotton Mill, Farnworth, 1933